Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Peanut Butter Vs. Toasted Wheat

     This morning I woke up to Katie calling me and telling me she was on the way over to my parents house to drop off the paint swatches of the colors we had discussed and chosen for the room possibilities. I showed her all the work I had done the night before as far as finding different lighting fixtures and different things that we would be needing for the condo. A while back we had discussed how cool it would be to have a zebra rug in our house, so while I had Katie over and thinking about all the necessities required to move the furniture in once the painting is done I asked, if we should buy the rug. We ended up purchasing a 8'X11' rug from ebay that was a bit cheaper than anywhere else. I have to say I'm pretty excited about the zebra rug, its not quite the full sized stuffed bear I was shooting for in the living room, but its an offshoot of it...right?
    Katie had to get back to work and I thought I better get a jump on the day, so after taking a shower, getting dressed, and having breakfast with my mom... I went to Home Depot and bought three samples of paint, a brush, and some painters tape. The lucky colors chosen were Peanut Butter, Toasted Wheat, and Burnt Almond (or some other variation that is supposed to make people feel happy when they get to say the name). I took them back to the condo, put up some tape (because, thats how Jeff Lewis would do it) and painted the first square with the Toasted Wheat color. I loved it... I was shocked because I hated the swatch. Then I thought I would just clean the ONE brush that I bought, the one brush that after being washed out, couldn't be dried by any paper towels.  All the things that we take for granted in a house, paper towels, toilet paper and all that stuff is gone, nowhere to be found amongst the dust bunnies, cobwebs and loose screws. Sadly, I then remembered it was trash night tomorrow night and I went to the dumpster, scrounged around and found some old newspapers that at least looked clean. The brush got dried and I moved on to the next color.
     I followed the afternoon up with a trip to Remart and Lowes and found some great stuff. I bought two lighting fixtures we needed for the downstairs and guest bathrooms from Remart because they were only $30 a piece and they look amazing. When I got home, I took a minute to eat some dinner and waited for Katie to get back from work. When she arrived we went to the condo, chose our favorite color of the three and went to Home Depot to buy our supplies.


  
     We got, brushes, trays, rollers, paint, primer, more tape, and some sand paper and hole filler for the walls. As we check out a man in a thick accent comes up to me and asks what we are painting. The paint color winner you ask?.... TOASTED WHEAT! We tell him we are basically painting the whole house and while Katie waits for the paint to finish mixing I am taken hostage by some eastern european man who takes all the rollers off the shelf, lays them out on the floor and tells me I need to squeeze them to determine their density. I was blown away. He made a grab bag of items we SHOULD use and ran off as soon as his paint was finished mixing. Random, I know, but it's probably a sign for the way the rest of this is going to go.
     Katie and I ended up at the condo, filling walls, which started with a debate as to the best way to do things. I have limited experience and should have just let Katie take care of it, but I ran my mouth and did the very thing I hate when others do it to me. I thought I could do it better and realized Katie was doing everything right all along. We finished the night, removing all the outlets and switch covers,  sanding, listening to Pandora and making a game plan for the next few days. All in all it was a great day, but I was happy to end the day working on the condo next to my fiance.

No comments:

Post a Comment