Saturday, April 16, 2011

Been a hard few days...

     I know its been a while since the last post. We haven't gotten too much done at the house in the past few days. Katie's grandfather, who has been battling lung cancer for the past 15 months, passed away this last Thursday. Needless to say he was a driving force in the family and attention was focused on the more important things.
     That being said, there were somethings that we did get done at the condo. The first of which was we got our welcome mat as a housewarming gift from Katie's grandmother and grandfather. Eleanor wanted us to have a house warming present. It was something that was special to Katie and I and we will treasure it for as long as it lasts.
     Other things happened as well... we got our white leather chair for next to the fireplace from Overstock. We love that place... you can't beat $2 shipping on stuff like furniture. I also got our internet, phone and cable set up, which is HUGE... It really makes the place feel like a home now that we have a place to sit and we can actually kill time just watching TV or going online. I bought our phones and installed them one day (not really a feat, but now we can get calls on the house phone). We didn't know whether to get house phones or not, but we decided that since I would like a fax machine in the office and we need a number to hook up to the automatic entry gate system, and since it was included in the bundle that we would get one. I also found my desk on craigslist. It was $20 and Timmy's friend Dean helped me get it to the condo with his truck... I'm trying to use different friends for each truck trip so I don't piss any one friend off. The desk is HUGE, I've started sanding it down... so I can stain it black and hopefully move it up into the office. (standby for before and after shots of this one) Its gonna be a difficult task. 
     Up to this point I can say that I've learned a lot. I've learned that I have great ideas that are only exponentially improved with Katie's thoughts. I've learned that I'm a control freak and that I have to be okay trusting other, and not actually being able to just finish everything in a weekend. I've learned that there are important things in life that can derail a plan, but where we end up may be a place far more beautiful that ever expected. I've learned that I love my family, and can't imagine living without my fiance. I've learned that I need to patient with others and more sympathetic to what others may be going through in their own way. Finally, in this project in particular, I've learned that its not what you do to a home that makes it a home, its the love, time, laughter and sorrow that you fill it with that makes it a place you can hopefully call home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment