Tuesday, April 12, 2011

SO MUCH DONE... But so far to go.

     Alright... So the last time I checked in we were at a different place than we are at today. So much has happened that I'm not even sure that I can accurately write about it all. But, in the spirit of doing my best to record the trials and successes of our first home, I'll do my best. 
     Friday... I have no idea what I did Friday... The most important thing happened Saturday when I began the day by having a friend, who also happens to have access to a truck with a lift gate, came over and did the first actual move out day. We loaded up Katie and my dinning room set, our infamous bar, some boxes of my stuff and the five boxes that comprised our Select Comfort bed. I have no idea how a California King mattress and box spring can possibly fit into 5 boxes that are relatively small, but whatever.Then I basically spent all day building furniture, getting things put away and cleaned up. Katie was at work all day so I spent the majority of the day building furniture to some nice music and relaxing while my fingers got shredded from threading bolt after bolt into each of the 8 dining room chairs. After a while, I finally finished putting together the dinning room table. I'm a pretty smart guy, so I built it upside down as to allow for all the work to be done without the help of anyone else. Too bad, once it was built, I had to flip it with the help of someone else. Thankfully, we live in a complex with a ton of other units and I just opened the garage, and asked the first neighbor I saw for help. I really nice guy named Damien who lives a few doors down, came in, helped me flip the table and then complimented the way our new home looked. 

    I took a break, and caught a movie with Rob for a bit, only to come back and try and get everything finished before Katie got back from work around 10. At 9pm almost everything was done, except that I would have to wait until tomorrow morning to get the couches from Katie's house, when my parents friends would come with their truck. I got a little impatient and decided that I needed to get the couches in so that I could have the downstairs area done. I called the only friend I have with a truck, who was a little busy until around 10pm. I told him it was no big deal, I would wait until tomorrow and everything would be fine. Then I got a rush and I drove to Katies, pulled everything out of the garage, brought the couch out and tried to fit the first piece into my Prius. NOPE! So I called my buddy back and asked if he could help whenever he was done. Thankfully, I have amazing friends, and he came over with his fiance' and we got the couches over to the condo. Now we finally had a place to sit, a dinning room table to eat at, and Katie even helped me put up the TV.  WOW! Its kinda starting to look like a house. 




     FUN FACT: always find a friend with a truck, and when you have one, treat them like gold. 
     Sunday was another day of getting things ready. Katie did an awesome job going to Home Goods and buying all those things that really make a space pop. She got a couple more pillows, candle sticks and and some other stuff that really adds a lot to the room. We just kept moving along and doing what we could. However, what we could, wasn't that much. With Katie's spring break coming to a close, issues with family members being sick and all the emotions and work that go into everything else, there wasn't much we got done on Sunday. 
     Today I woke up did some things and went to the condo. I set up the installation for our cable, internet and phone for tomorrow. I scheduled 3 different appointments and quotes for granite installation, I spent more time cleaning the pond, I threw out all the rest of the trash after I befriended the trash men, moved our new patio furniture out back, and went to Home Depot to get new more modern flat light switches and sockets. I had to learn all the different issues and types of switches. I think the guys a Home Depot hate me, I'm the kind of individual who doesn't know a lot about home improvement, but I'll ask questions for hours until I completely understand something. Anyways... I went back to the condo, shut off the power and began working on switches, until Katie and I had our second appointment with Rigoberto, the granite guy. He brought his samples and measured. We'll find out the price tomorrow. Anyways... thats about it... I know there was a ton more, but I can't recall it right now... Hopefully more pictures will follow since my camera battery died today. 

WE'VE COME A LONG WAY SO FAR, WITH EVEN MORE TO GO!



No comments:

Post a Comment